This article covers how to install UniFi Beta from a .deb file for Ubuntu Server (so command line only), and how to install a WildCard SSL into UniFi. This article does not cover installing Ubuntu and applying updates.
If you already have a controller, confirm you have a backup of your controller to restore your sites and data!
Controller > Maintenance > Backup > Download
Obtain Putty, a SSH tool to remote into your server with copy/paste functionality
Installing UniFi Base Packages
Run the following code to install UniFi. Note that unifi-rapid and unifi-beta are no longer used, Ubiquiti changed to the single release and if you want a specific version you can install it yourself with the .deb file (below)
#Make your session administrative sudo -i #Open a text editor to allow UniFi to be downloaded from the repository nano /etc/apt/sources.list #Go to the bottom of the list with the arrow keys, and paste in (through putty, it's Right-Click) deb http://www.ubnt.com/downloads/unifi/debian unifi5 ubiquiti deb http://www.ubnt.com/downloads/unifi/distros/deb/debian debian ubiquiti #Save (Ctrl + X, Y for Yes) #Add the Ubiquiti GPG Signed Keys to allow you to install their software apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv C0A52C50 apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv 7F0CEB10 #Refresh the repositories (download sources) apt-get update #Install from the repositories apt-get install unifi
Upgrading to UniFi Beta with .DEB Image
Sign up for the UniFi Beta community forums. Check the blog to get the newest update packages.
Find the release you want, most likely the newest, and copy the URL of the .deb file.
Putty into your server, and run the following code to install UniFi, then upgrade to the Beta.
#Make your session administrative sudo -i #Download your .deb file to the /tmp directory cd /tmp wget https://www.ubnt.com/downloads/unifi/5.2.5-6914faba/unifi_sysvinit_all.deb #Wait for download to complete, then unpackage and install dpkg -i unifi_sysvinit_all.deb #Clean up the mess, delete the old .deb file rm unifi_sysvinit_all.deb
Applying the SSL Certificate
The scope of this guide does not cover how to create a CSR and obtain your wildcard certificate. Once you have exported your certificate keychain (with private key) as a PKCS #12, these instruction will APPLY the key to your UniFi controller.
By default, UniFi installs inself to /var/lib/unifi
In here is the file “keystore”, that contains the self-signed “UniFi” SSL certificate.
- Download Keystore Explorer
- Create a new keystore – JKS (OpenSSL)
- Tools > Import Key Pair – PKCS #12 > Browse to PFX Wildcard Cert
- Decrypt with private key password
- Encrypt NEW keystore with the password “aircontrolenterprise”
- File > Save As > “keystore”
- FTP file to your UniFi box, I recommend Filezilla to connect via sftp://192.168.1.X on port 22.
- Transfer the file to your home directory /home/username, since /var/lib/unifi is protected
- Connect via Putty > sudo -i > [password] > cd /var/lib/unifi
- Stop the service: service unifi stop
- Create a backup file: mv keystore keystore.orig
- Move your newly encrypted keystore: cd /home/username > cp keystore /var/lib/unifi/keystore
- Reboot the Linux OS, when the UniFi controller starts up it will auto import the file keystore and apply it to web services, giving you that nice shiny HTTP green lock 🙂